Re: Bad performance because of wrong characterset?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:34:25 -0800

Hi!

Only string manipulation/comparision is slower with variable width charsets than with fixed width ones, because with variable width ones (UTF-8) you have to check the highest bit of each byte to check whether it shows that the next byte is "part of" current character or is part of next character. So, this means more CPU usage.

But, if you migrate your whole database from UTF-8 to UTF-16 and you got a lot of character data, your database overall performance might get worse, since your strings get larger in bytes and retrieving 100 rows might mean reading 20 blocks instead of 10 like in the past.

Performance depends on a lot of things, such how much string operations you got, what are the contents of your strings (are they mainly latin chars or are there lots of asian ones etc..).

Tanel.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee