Re: Uncle Larry, wake up!!!

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 08:59:25 -0800

Amen. In Miracle we'll do nicely in the years to come by being able to support VMS, PL/SQL (the COBOL of the databases - widely used, very efficient, not in vogue anymore for new projects), perhaps Oracle (if it goes the way we could fear), UNIX (which is certainly dead now - if you had any doubts before, it's obvious by now. It's over.), and other legacy products and systems. It might not be a growth area, but it will be around for many years.

There are so many good ideas out there from the various database vendors. The whole MySQL thing seems very smart (and will win over PostgreSQL of course, because the marketing is better). Microsoft's idea of allowing you to write stored procedures in .Net compliant languages (I wish Oracle would make PL/SQL .Net compliant - that would be very cool indeed) which makes it possible to get rid of that #€%" TransactSQL crap. Oracle's new-found emphasis on the right performance stuff in 10g.

But I wonder if databases will be something special at all in a few years time? Why not just do Google-things for selects and some not-yet-invented Google-DML on all sorts of data sources?

Microsoft will make SQL Server a part of the file system in 2005, I think. Then what? It's Linux and Windows and nothing else then.

Mogens

Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=
  INET: mln_at_miracleas.dk