RE: Re[2]: ORDER -- was Re[2]: Sequences in OPS/RAC

From: Thater, William <William.Thater_at_carrier.utc.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 06:49:25 -0800

Jonathan Gennick scribbled on the wall in glitter crayon:

> Would NOCACHE really prevent loss of sequence values? It
> seems to me that you could still find yourself in a
> situation where you grab NEXTVAL from a sequence, causing it
> to increment, and then you rollback your transaction. The
> sequence, of course, would not rollback, and you'd "lose" a
> value. I don't know any way around this problem using
> sequences. If it were a requirement not to lose any values,
> none at all, then I'd probably at least think about
> alternative solutions.

OK so outside of the select-from-a-table-increment-and-put-it-back solutions, what other ones are there that absolutely not have gaps. i don't think even that one can make that claim.

--
Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
"I'm going to work my ticket if I can..." -- Gilwell song
Author: Thater, William
  INET: William.Thater_at_carrier.utc.com