RE: Oracle pricing ain't going down

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:44:33 -0800

Mladen, Mogens - If Oracle were to slash prices, there are several factors to consider. First, what does that do to Oracle's bottom line? Would sales increase dramatically enough to keep overall revenue from falling? I think the stagnant economy over the last few years has been tough on everyone and there aren't a lot of extra dollars to be found.

   Second, how would Microsoft and IBM react? Years ago, Oracle's main competitors were Sybase and Informix, database companies like Oracle. Now the main competitors are Microsoft and IBM, where database revenues are a minor portion of their revenues, at least that is my impression. Maybe not a smart idea to start a price war with someone that is not very dependent on database revenues.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com