RE: Desupport of RBO

From: Govindan K <gkatteri_at_omanmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:24:41 -0800

Bit old .... but

http://www.pro-dba.com/oracle_10i.html

HTH
GovindanK

<-----Original Message----->

                    From: Cunningham, Gerald;Cunningham, Gerald Sent: 10/7/2003 12:11:25 PM
To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

The way I read it is that you can still use it, it's just not officially supported. i.e. If you call up Oracle Support and say my query (SELECT /*+RULE */ blah blah blah...) crashes the database, they will say "Sorry, you're out of luck" or "Switch to cost-based".

Some apps (e.g. Siebel) still rely on RULE or they go down the terlit... -----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 2:05 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

OK, dumb question. Does this mean the rule hint won't be possible? Application I support mostly uses CBO but there have been cases where we had to resort to RBO hint. 'course it'll be some time before we can consider v10...

Kip

|Hi Jared,

|haven't seen it, too. But the fact
|was spreaded over the newsgroups.

|We still have some 3rd party apps that don't use
|*any* feature above Oracle 7 (well, almost). Queries with
|the RULE hint where it's not necessary.
|But if we change a thing, support will be lost.
|So we decided to rewrite the whole app.
|Lucky me: enough work for the next years.

|Greetings,
|Guido

|First time I've seen this note: 189702.1

|Jared

|--
|Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
|--
|Author: Guido Konsolke
| INET: Guido.Konsolke_at_tkserv-triaton.thyssenkrupp.com

|Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
|San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
|To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
|to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the
|message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of
|mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP
|command for other information (like subscribing).

INET: Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com

command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Cunningham, Gerald
INET: Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net

.

Get Your 10MB account for FREE at http://mail.arabia.com !