RE: Cary's Book - new topic

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:24:33 -0800

Now that the response quality was mentioned, the intimately related topic is the quality of the application itself. I frequently indulge myself into observing things like usability: - Are buttons in the applications created naturally, easy to press   and with good logical explanations?
- Are fields following each other naturally and does the operator have   to use mouse navigation frequently, thus taking fingers off the   keyboard? Are there unnecessary sights and sounds (picturess, beeps,   music, animations) which would unnecessarily burden the LAN? - Are fonts readable and pleasant to work with or is the effect of an   hour in forn the application an equivalent to the punch in the head? - Are scrolling lists searchable and are they big? Do they take long   time to populate?
- Are colors bright and annoying or not? - What is the overall impression of the screen?

My experience tells me that, when it comes to the perception, all of the above plays certain role. People tend to be much less satisfied with annoying and ugly applications and can frequently claim that they're slow. It's not just performance, it's the quality of the application, as well. What Cary's book pointed out and what I objected to is the fact that a DBA (in contrast to Cary, I see that role being identical to the one of a "senior DBA") must be a politician as well as an expert with databases and operating systems. On the other hand, if Arnold can do it, why not me? Hasta la vista, baby.

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 14:59, Wolfgang Breitling wrote:
> Good point. I suppose this gets into the realm of "perceived response
> time". Some applications break long transactions into several user
> interactions to hide the real response time. The application still makes
> its SLA defined as "90% of transactions complete in < 3 seconds" while the
> real transaction takes a lot longer. However, the user is kept busy and you
> get into that perception thing. I know that if I see a traffic jam, I look
> for ways to detour around it. Even it I don't save any time (there is no
> way of telling really), I have at least the impression that I'm doing
> something, that I'm in charge, rather sitting passively in the jam crawling
> along, waiting for something the clear up.
>
> At 12:39 PM 10/7/2003, you wrote:
>
> >Also, if we are to really address the business case as you suggest then
> >the definition should also include the quality of the response. If the
> >response is quick but incomplete and the user has to ask 10 questions to
> >get at the one real answer he's after then what good is a fast response
> >time?

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mladen_at_wangtrading.com