Re: Cary's book

From: Gudmundur Josepsson <gbj_at_index.is>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:44:27 -0800

RE: Cary's bookThe only way you can look bad to the bottom line is if what you charge for your work costs more than the business gains by what you have done/are going to do. If you spend 40 hours shaving 5 minutes off of a 4 hour batch job that has a 5 hour window to run then you're bad for the bottom line. Nothing is really gained. If, in 40 hours, you reduce an online query that is run hundreds or thousands of times each day from 10 to 5 seconds so that the company can process twice as many orders then you're the hero.

If not having OCP is a problem then go get it. It's easy. If you don't believe that the Oracle exams stand for anything useful then buy the practice exams from SelfTest or find the braindumps and finish it in a month or two. No matter how good you are or what you can do, if the other guy is getting the job because of his OCP then you've lost because your marketing has failed. He knows what the buyer wants and gives it to him. I'm not so sure that Ingres was an inferior product to Oracle back in the early eighties but Oracle had this guy called Larry Ellison who knew something about marketing. Is Ingres still alive today?

Gudmundur

Author: Gudmundur Josepsson
  INET: gbj_at_index.is

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 14:44:27 CDT