Re: Huge optimization costs with 9.2

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:34:25 -0800

Here's a script to show differences in default parameter values between releases.

Kind of interesting results.

Jared

col cinstance1 noprint new_value uinstance1 col cinstance2 noprint new_value uinstance2

prompt
prompt Parmdif2f - Compare init.ora parms for 2 Oracle Instances

prompt             Parameters are displayed only if they appear in
prompt             both instances and are set to default values
prompt
prompt             This helps explain database behavior changes
prompt             between releases

prompt

prompt Instance 1:
set feed off term off
select '&1' cinstance1 from dual;

set term on
prompt
prompt Instance 2:
set term off
select '&2' cinstance2 from dual;

set term on feed on

set line 110

break on name skip 1

col name format a40
col value format a40
col database format a8 head 'DB'

spool parmdiff2.txt

select p.name, p.value, p.database
from (
(

        select a.ksppinm name, b.ksppstvl value, '&&uinstance1' database
        from x$ksppi@&&uinstance1 a, x$ksppsv@&&uinstance1 b
        where a.indx = b.indx
        minus
        select a.ksppinm name, b.ksppstvl value, '&&uinstance1' database
        from x$ksppi@&&uinstance2 a, x$ksppsv@&&uinstance2 b
        where a.indx = b.indx

)
union all
(
        select a.ksppinm name, b.ksppstvl value, '&&uinstance2' database
        from x$ksppi@&&uinstance2 a, x$ksppsv@&&uinstance2 b
        where a.indx = b.indx
        minus
        select a.ksppinm name, b.ksppstvl value, '&&uinstance2' database
        from x$ksppi@&&uinstance1 a, x$ksppsv@&&uinstance1 b
        where a.indx = b.indx

)
) p,
-- this query used to limit output to parameters

spool off

undef 1 2

Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 10/03/2003 08:54 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Huge optimization costs with 9.2

We has problems with another undocumented parameter that changed when we migrated to 9i in August last year. _B_TREE_BITMAP_PLANS change from false to true and caused a number of issues with sub-optimal execution plans.

Another possible trap for the unwary ...

Cheers

Richard
Author: Richard Foote
  INET: richard.foote_at_bigpond.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 14:34:25 CDT