RE: Oracle and nfs mounted devices.

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:39:45 -0800

> I have been asked to create datafiles (create tablespace) on
> disk drives
> that are mapped ( internal disk - attached to remote servers)
>
> When I tried creating tablespace...I get the following error message:
>

> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01119: error in creating database file
> 'd:\oracle\oradata\mmstest\test.dbf'
> ORA-27040: skgfrcre: create error, unable to create file
> OSD-04002: unable to open file
> O/S-Error: (OS 3) The system cannot find the path specified.

I firmly believe that placing database files across the network is one very bad idea indeed, however your problem most likely comes from the fact that Oracle service runs as local (Windows) system account and as such across the network it has exactly the level of rights it deserves - none whatsoever. If you set the Oracle service to run as recognized network user that have read/right permissions on mapped drive - it might work, but it would still be a bad-bad idea to go ahead and actually do so (teeny tiny network 'hick up', and find yourself practicing recovery scenarios).

Branimir

Author: Branimir Petrovic
  INET: BranimirP_at_cpas.com