RE: COBOL TO ORACLE

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:59:45 -0800

What OS are you using? I assume the COBOL app resides on the same box as the database? When performance is poor, can you see what the top processes are?

As for the merits of COBOL, our COBOL apps hum along very nicely, processing millions of records a month. Also, I like having conversations with developers that tell me "I connect to the database and run this SQL statement..." vs getting into some convoluted discussion about objects, object servers, ODBC formatted SQL, etc. Perhaps I'm blissfully ignorant about some aspects of programming, but I can tell you that our COBOL programs that follow the KISS method give us the least amount of headaches.

Jay

>>> babette.turnerunderwood_at_hrdc-drhc.gc.ca 10/01/03 03:09PM >>> Then perhaps you can help me . . .

We are suffering through a Pro*Cobol / Oracle on the mainframe implementation for a newly developed in house application.

We have a mainframe with 1.7GB - 2GB REAL memory. 4 CPU machine - we have two logical CPUs in our LPAR We have 8 instances running (each with at least 300MB SGA) We are having major performance problems when people start doing a lot of work on these instances.

The Mainframe SYSADMIN insists that there is NO swapping, NO paging occuring. There is no problem because each instance can have 2GB VIRTUAL memory and this is fine and dandy because this is how the mainframe works.

Did you ever use Oracle on a mainframe? Did you come up with guidelines for minimum requirements? (like in the UNIX install guides / NT install guides, you need X RAM, etc)

Thanks
Babette

Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com