RE: what is BAARF? --- OFA

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:54:23 -0800

Hey Tim,

D'oh! The problem with e-mail is that it takes an hour to convey what would take 5 minutes in person... :)

While I stand by my original e-mail, I do understand that OFA was designed to do exactly what the acronym says: be optimal and flexible. My problem with it is that I do not see OFA as optimal, at least not anymore. Perhaps it's just me, but I just don't understand the reasoning of the parts of OFA I had outlined now nor 14 years ago. Maybe it's because I had much more hair 13-14 years ago (more on my head, at least, with less in other places), and the combined human caused faults/accidents over those years has caused me to be much more strict in the way I'd like to see hardware and software set up. Or perhaps it's because I cut my teeth on VMS and haven't conformed to accepted Unix practice, nor do I see a need to if an alternative can be established as being subjectively "better" (re: "/unn" mountpoints).

OK, enough of my babble. I would LOVE to see OFA updated! I won't hold my breath that any of my suggestions would be incorporated, but then again I'm just one person. I'll happily continue using a mostly-OFA setup. Except on VMS, which Oracle Corp does not conform to OFA at least thru v8.1.7. Then again, we have no more VMS... :(

BTW, wasn't dangling from a clock tower Harold Lloyd's trademark? :)

Thanks for listening to my whining,
Rich

rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com