RE: what is BAARF? --- OFA

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:49:23 -0800

Not a "taker", but I'll put in my disdain for OFA, taken from the OFA doc at http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/A97297_01/appg_ofa.htm :

  1. Who in their right minds thought it was a good idea to name the redos with a ".log" extention? It's asking for trouble, if not from a DBA, then from an SA or a script that's used to clean up old log files. Why the risk?
  2. For similar reasons, I refuse to create the database files under $ORACLE_BASE. How often does a DBA peruse that file tree? Daily, for me. Put them on a separate directory off of "/" on Unix, or their own drive letter for Winders. Then, anyone wanting to mess with the files from the O/S level usually needs to go there on purpose and not by accident (unless "root" does an "rm -R *" from "/", in which case there ain't a whole lot you can do anyway).
  3. Having the administrative directory structure (table G-8 on the above link) is impractical at best, and dangerous at worst. If you lose one MP (mount point; one set of drives), you lose all instances. To prevent this, you'd need to create SEVERAL MPs for each DB, even on a small system. This just isn't going to happen. Instead, we make an "admin" directory under $ORACLE_BASE, then a "DBNAME" directory for each DB underneath that. The appropriate adump, bdump, cdump, udump, pfile, etc. directories are then created for each DBNAME. Then, if necessary, each DBNAME directory can have their own MP, for recoverability and scalability (I wouldn't stretch it to include "performance"!).
  4. I think the "/u01", "/u02", etc. MP naming is a pain. They mean nothing. In a disaster recovery, the last thing you want is to have someone forget what "/u01" is. This is the 21st century, people! We have the power to NAME DIRECTORIES something meaningful!

NOFA! :) Rich

rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com