RE: 9i-OCP Question

From: Gudmundur Bjarni Josepsson <gbj_at_index.is>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:34:39 -0800

Roy,

I think you've got this backwards. To preserve the groups you need to preserve the members and thus you would multiplex the members.

If you multiplex the 4 members of the 2 groups over 4 disks you will minimize the risk of failure. If you lose one disk you still have three members left in each group so you can have up to 3 disks fail without the instance stopping.

With 2 groups, if you put all the members of a group on a single disk and you lose that disk you have lost the whole group and the instance will fail instantly or at the next log switch (depending on whether it was the current group or not).

Gudmundur

Author: Gudmundur Bjarni Josepsson
  INET: gbj_at_index.is