Re: index not being used

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:33:43 +0300

Hi!

> This plan shows that ICWOIMP is accessed FULL .
> Actually this table
> has a Primary Key on WOKEY & this is used in JOIN
> condition . WHy is
> it not using that index

But you also have two joins between ICWOIMP (A) and AFAS_RCPT_DTLS (D) tables in your query: CBO finds that it's better to hash join those two, and it's better to use multiblock reads from table to get the data for join either because of cost or because you do not have indexes / other predicates on those columns.

And since you already have read whole ICWOIMP table due CBO decided join order, there's no point of reading any more data from it, thus no index is required and the hint is ignored. Instead the hash joined result set is taken and is joined to rest of tables using nested loops.

You have to hint join orders if you definitely want to get join using WOKEY happen first.

Tanel.