Re: Index Usage ?!

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:37:51 +0300

Hi!

> but there are seperate indexes on column PREF, FLAG and SEX.
> when those indexes are used ,cost=999.
>
> whereas when IDX_PROFILE_SHINKI ( a composite index on ENTPC,
> FLAG,SEX,PREF,ENTDAY) is used , cost=7.
>
> 1.whys there is a huge difference in COST ?

As Wolfgang said, since your IDX_PROFILE_SHINKI index is unanalyzed, CBO is using default values, which look quite sexy costwise. Are your other indexes analyzed?

> 2.does it mean that a composite index is better than individual ones ?

Always depends. But I use them a lot. Optimizerwise - they might be bigger in sense of bytes & blocks, but again if they contain all columns required in qurey, that no table access is required, they can speed up lookups & short range scans significantly.

Tanel.