Re: Does the client "hang" or "disconnect" when the server's

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:54:09 +0300

Hi!

Actually it seems that as long as the network (TCP) connection is up at OS level, Oracle is just gonna wait for reply for it's packets sent. So, probably no 3113 error before OS drops the TCP connection (if sqlplus or OCI doesn't have some kind of timeout implemented). Sorry about confusion...

I tested sending new request with sqlplus, by logging on as system and suspending, not killing my server process (this way OS doesn't clear the TCP connection):

SQL> select server from v$session where username = 'SYSTEM';

SERVER

DEDICATED SQL> select p.spid from v$session s, v$process p where s.paddr = p.addr and s.username = 'SYSTEM';

SPID

3961

SQL> !kill -23 3961

SQL> select * from dual;

^C
^C
^C

kill -23 means killing with SIGSTOP in Solaris and after that my next request waited indefinetly (at least for 10 minutes after which I continued the process with kill -25).

Tanel.