RE: 9iAS vs. Weblogic and Websphere

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:52:52 -0500

Ryan

   My impression is that 9iAS probably has the best database interface. The others look pretty primitive in comparison, basically just JDBC when you get to the bottom. Also, note that Oracle is currently running a special to lure WebLogic and Websphere users away. I think in this confusing, evolving market for application servers, a lot depends on your company's approach. If your company is highly committed to Oracle, then 9iAS is the logical choice. If you are highly committed to IBM, then Websphere is the logical choice. In our case we had to persuade people to move away from MS, and the argument was that you wouldn't be locked into one vendor, so the tendency has been to avoid Oracle for the non-DB pieces. I think the enterprise-scale AS are so complex that it is hard to compare feature-for-feature.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Ryan
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 07:52:52 CDT