RE: backwards export

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:02:07 -0500

Jeroen

    I haven't done this specific export/import. Hopefully someone who has will respond. The usual prescription is to use the exp binary from the older Oracle version to export the data. The layout of the data files changed between Oracle 7 and Oracle 8, but did not change from 8 to 9, so you might specifically look for instructions on moving data from 8 back to 7. I have seen people on this list that have done that.

    You might also start considering how you will confirm data integrity after the data movement. Audit your data to see which data types you use.

     In the worst case, you might have to install an Oracle 8 or 8i instance and move the data in two steps. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com