Re: convert RBS tablespace from DMT to LMT (Oracle 8173) steps?

From: Guang Mei <gmei_at_incyte.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:43:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, zhu chao wrote:

> Hi, guang:
> I have two questions:
> 1. Why create rbs on lmt tablespace and later drop it again? Just do
> step 1-7 and it is ok. Or maybe you need to update your init file, but you
> can also offline old rbs01 and create new rbs01 on lmt, and so on.

You are right that I only need to create rbs01 on lmt ts once, and that was how I did it (see my other post).

> 2. If you have dmt rollback segment in production and you did create the
> rbs with(initial=next, min=20), in most case , rbs won't expand or
> shrink.And the convertion does not help much . right?

I set storage(initial 2048K next 2048K minextents 2 ) for all my rbs. So there will be expand or shrink in RBS tablespace. I think that convert to LMT would reduce space management operation in data dictionary, therefore help the performance. However, I have never done any measurements of how much improvement one could get by converting RBS tablespace from DMT to LMT.

Guang