Re: HP-UX 11i/9.2.0.3/Strange Executions

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_sun.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:26:31 -0600

--------------21C6872F76BD68F24E4F02A8

Metalink has a note that the INLIST ITERATOR may cause problems on certain platforms. That's about as much detail as it offers. I don't know the internal workings of II, but I suspect there is some sort of merging occuring after each (or all) iterations. Perhaps someone on the list can explain how an Inlist Iterator works...

"Vergara, Michael (TEM)" wrote:

> Ok you guys...
>
> Here's the latest on the 'real' subject of this thread.
> You know what an explain plan looks like, right? On our
> production DB, it looked like
>
> SELECT STATEMENT CHOOSE
> SORT GROUP BY
> TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID
> INDEX RANGE SCAN
>
> Ok...so far so what, right? Well, on our stage server, it looked
> like this...
> 32 SELECT STATEMENT CHOOSE
> 31 SORT GROUP BY
> 30 CONCATENATION
> 3 INLIST ITERATOR
> 2 TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID
> 1 INDEX RANGE SCAN
> 5 TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID
> 4 INDEX RANGE SCAN
> 7 TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID
> 6 INDEX RANGE SCAN
> 9 TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID
> 8 INDEX RANGE SCAN
> 29 TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID
> 28 INDEX RANGE SCAN
>
> In each case of Table Access...Index Range Scan, the WHERE clauses
> were the same. I had never seen anything like this. Have you?
> And these plans are for the same SQL.
>
> However...this was an artifact, not the problem. We found the
> problem. It was an Oracle Patch. Yep. If you have Oracle
> 9.2.0.3, take my advice and DO NOT INSTALL MERGE FIX 2871468.
>
> I accidentally missed installing this patch on the STG server, and
> the report in question worked there. In PRD, there was no joy.
> When I applied the patch to STG, it failed there, and worked again
> when the patch was removed. (There's a vote for 'opatch'!).
>
> So...my problem is resolved, the problem was an Oracle patch.
> Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

 filename="daniel.fink.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Fink;Daniel
tel;cell:303.808.3282
tel;work:303.272.3225
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
email;internet:daniel.fink_at_sun.com
title:DB Services Lead Received on Tue Jul 22 2003 - 16:26:31 CDT