RE: HP-UX 11i/9.2.0.3/Strange Executions

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_oxhp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:20:29 -0400

I'm unable to open a TAR for you, but here is what a quick Metalink search has produced:
Oracle Server-Enterprise and Standard Edition Technical Forum

Displayed below are the messages of the selected thread.

Thread Status: Active

From: Richard Williams 07-Nov-00 11:47
Subject: database crashing with ora 7445; would like input from other people before applying patch

RDBMS Version: 8.1.6
Operating System and Version: solaris 2.6 Error Number (if applicable): ora 7442
Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Product Version: 8.1.6

database crashing with ora 7445; would like input from other people before applying patch

Hi there,

We've had several db's crash periodically with one or the other of the following errors:

ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump[kghfrmrg()+88] [SIGSEGV] [Address
not mapped to object] [2219483628] [][]

ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [kghfrmrg()+488] [SIGSEGV][Address
not mapped to object] [2216410208] [] []

I've posted a tar and the reponse has been to apply the Solaris patch 8.1.6.2 Before applying this patch I'd like some feedback from folks out there in the field.

I've seen several other posts on Metalink reporting the same problem but have not seen any resolutions. (If I've overlooked one, I apologize and would appreciate someone pointing me to it). Some of the proposed resolutions were to upgrade to 8.1.6 (obviously it's not fixed in 8.1.6).

If anyone out there has had this problem and has upgraded to a patch for 8.1.6 I would really appreciate some feedback. We cannot recreate the problem consistently but it's happening frequently enough to cause problems on our production db's. However, I have not gotten any indication that this patchset corrects the problem. I do not like to apply patches and see if it corrects a problem, especially when it's a problem that has been reported as often as this error.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Richard.

From: Oracle, Helen Schoone 07-Nov-00 13:47 Subject: Re : database crashing with ora 7445; would like input from other people before applying patch

Hi. Was there a bug number referenced for your scenario which is fixed in the 8.1.6.2 patchset release? I would need to see the trace file associated with this error as well as an excerpt from the alert.log showing a timeframe from the last startup of the database through the time of the error and subsequent database crash. You can e-mail those to me at: helen.schoone_at_oracle.com. Please reference the subject and date of your thread in the e-mail.

ORA-7445 is a generic error which signals that an unhandled exception occurred somewhere within the Oracle environment for some reason. The cause of one occurrence may or may not be related to another occurrence. Sometimes, the exception occurs due to previous errors. Do all occurrences of the ORA-7445 which initiates the crash look just like the one you list with [kghfrmrg] as the first arguement?

Regards,
Helen
Oracle Support Services

From: Tracey Widdall 07-Nov-00 14:28

Richard

We have encountered similar messages in our alert log. These were caused by the use of %rowtype in pl/sql. This is not fixed in the 8.1.6.2 patch, and is in fact still a problem in 8.1.7. So, if it is possible that this could be causing your problems, I would not advise applying the patch.

However, we have applied the 8.1.6.2 patch for another 8.1.6 problem - a bug with degree of parallelism and unions. We have encountered many more problems with the patch than without. Oracle have said it is likely we would have encountered these problems with 8.1.6.0, we just hadn't got that far. They also said that the patch was the only option for our problem at that time. It also appears that most of the bugs we have encountered in 8.1.6.2 have been related to parallel query, so if you are not using parallel query, you may be OK with the patch.

Have Fun with this one!

Thanks

Tracey Widdall

From: Oracle, Helen Schoone 10-Nov-00 18:44 Subject: Re : database crashing with ora 7445; would like input from other people before applying patch

Hi. Unfortunately, I am unable to confirm that this is fixed in the 8.1.6.2 as I am unable to pinpoint a bug that you are encountering. Both of the scenarios you provided show a session performing an 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' followed by a shutdown immediate.' The ORA-7445 error is signalled to the session upon the ALTER DATABASE CLOSE which is fatal. PMON then encounters the same error when attemping the cleanup. How is this backup of the controlfile and shutdown controlled? Do you have a script which executes this every night? Would it be possible to alter the sequence of events so that the session which performs the backup of the controlfile exits, then starts a new session to execute the shutdown immediate?

Regards,
Helen
Oracle Support Services

From: Richard Williams 13-Nov-00 11:57

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the feedback. There is a script that runs every night to do the backups (shuts each db down, does a cold backup, restarts the db). I didn't write the script but I can talk to the guy who did and see if that's a possibility. Just to clarify, when you talk about exiting the session and starting a new one, I'm assuming you mean getting out of svrgmrl / sqlplus nolog (not sure which one is used at the moment) and then getting back in to do the shutdown immediate.

I should add one thing. One possibility I've considered is that this has to do with sniped sessions. We have an idle-time limit of 60 minutes and periodically sessions do get sniped. Though the errors produced don't seem to exactly match the ones reported for this problem. Is this a possible cause for the errors I sent you? (If so, that's a big concern since we are being told that we have to set the idle-time at 15 minutes, which will cause a lot more sniped sessions).

Thanks.
Richard.

From: Oracle, Helen Schoone 14-Nov-00 21:41 Subject: Re : Re : database crashing with ora 7445; would like input from other people before applying patch

Hi. Your assumption of "getting out of svrgmrl / sqlplus nolog and then getting back in to do the shutdown immediate" is correct. I have no information to point to sniped sessions being associated with this based on information so far.

Please let me know about the shutdown. Also, if you could provide details of how it functions (i.e. sqlplus, svrmgrl, etc.).

Regards,
Helen
Oracle Support Services

Mladen Gogala