RE: Recent reports on outages caused by DB2 and 9iRAC issues

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:33:27 -0600

I've only made one mistake in my life and that was the time when I thought I was wrong. ;-)

OK, getting serious... I've found it's best to QUICKLY be 100% truthful. If you get crucified for it then it may be that damagement needs to lighten up. Unfortunately the fear of damagement causes wheel spinning work-arounds to compromises of the facts. ;-)

I once inadvertently brought a 24X7 production system down by shutting down a test database that was "managed" by Veritas Cluster Server junk. A hands on type director had added it to the cluster without telling me so when I shut down the test database the cluster stuff tried to fail over and everything came crashing down. I got the blame so it was a real "cluster-f***" because the damager wouldn't accept any responsibility for this episode. Later he decided to change some Unix stuff all on his own and the result was that the system was down quite some time. He as rather cavalier about the outage and danced around the truth. Ultimately his prevarications caught up with him and he was "dismissed" on the spot. "Justice" was served.

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the