Re: How to make SPFILE in sync with INIT.ORA ?

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kirtikumar_deshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:12:40 -0700 (PDT)

The other parameters that will get you in the same trouble are related to the special buffer pools.. I ran into this issue with 9iR1 and decided to stay away from SPFILE stuff... The failure of Oracle (programmers) checking for such exclusiveness (?) tells their background. Doesn't it?
I forget where I read this (may a post right here), but, someone suggested to create a database trigger (to fire before shutdown) to write out pfile from spfile. Good idea, I think. And keep a backup of the init.ora.

SGA_MAX_SIZE is yet another such blunder. It is supposed to set the high water mark for the SGA size, so one can "dynamically" change memory allocation to certain SGA components.

On SUN Solaris (with ISM) it's useless. And, just today I found out that it does not work with AIX 5L either. Later tonight I will test it with AIX 4.3. The instance started with SGA sized to the value specified by this parameter.