security without using different usernames

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:31:14 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_107A_01C34AF6.E3FD89C0 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

RE: upgrade to AIX 5I know this is terrible design, but the GUI was = created by a software engineering group that is seperate from the = database group. Its not scalable. So Im trying to come up with a more = scalable method. I have no power to change their gui. It rides on the = database. I have to live with it. This is not a high enough transaction = database to warrant seperate instances.=20

We have a variety of customers. Each of them has their own versions of = data. However, the schema is exactly the same. These tables can get = huge, so we dont want to throw them all into the same schema.

Right now, due to the fact that the GUI has a series of logins that are = the same across clients, each client has its own instance. This isnt = very scalable as we get more business. We have to create another = instance and ingest data to it.=20

Id like to find a way to get all the clients in the same instance with = just different schemas and tablespaces. One thing I may have control = over would be to slightly rename the executable. If you check v$session, = in a client-server application the name of the product connecting to the = database is recording. I can handle security based off of that.=20

My question is what would be the best way? Cant do synonyms for this = since its the same login. I think I saw somewhere that there is a = session based 'set' command where you can say use this schema. I think = it was on asktom and in reference to a question about public synonyms. I = cant find it. Anyone know it?=20

Also is it viable to base a context off of what is in v$sesion with a = logon trigger? How would I 'redirect' all queries to a specific schema?

To stress, I cant change the application. Different group with different = skillsets. Any suggestions?=20

------=_NextPart_000_107A_01C34AF6.E3FD89C0 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>RE: upgrade to AIX 5</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know this is terrible design, but the =
GUI was=20
created by a software engineering group that is seperate from the = database=20
group. Its not scalable. So Im trying to come up with a more scalable = method. I=20
have no power to change their gui. It rides on the database. I have to = live with=20
it. This is not a high enough transaction database to warrant seperate=20 instances. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We have a variety of customers. Each of =
them has=20
their own versions of data. However, the schema is exactly the same. = These=20
tables can get huge, so we dont want to throw them all into the same=20 schema.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Right now, due to the fact that the GUI =
has a=20
series of logins that are the same across clients, each client has its = own=20
instance. This isnt very scalable as we get more business. We have to = create=20
another instance and ingest data to it. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Id like to find a way to get all the =
clients in the=20
same instance with just different schemas and tablespaces. One thing I = may have=20
control over would be to slightly rename the executable. If you check = v$session,=20
in a client-server application the name of the product connecting to the =

database is recording. I can handle security based off of that. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My question is what would be the best =
way? Cant do=20
synonyms for this since its the same login. I think I saw somewhere that = there=20
is a session based 'set' command where you can say use this schema. I = think it=20
was on asktom and in reference to a question about public synonyms. I = cant find=20

it. Anyone know it? </FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also is it viable to base a context off =
of what is=20
in v$sesion with a logon trigger? How would I 'redirect' all queries to = a=20
specific schema?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To stress, I cant change the =
application. Different=20
group with different skillsets.&nbsp;Any suggestions?=20 Received on Tue Jul 15 2003 - 16:31:14 CDT