should you seperate indexes from tables in seperate datafiles?

From: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 9:49:27 -0400

There has been alot of literature stating that you will recieve performance improvements by seperating indexes and tables across multiple I/O points.

Ie... you have a tables tablespace and an index tablespace. If you put them on seperate hard drives, you will have less I/O contention.

Now Im seeing some articles stating that this is not true. That oracle actually accesses indexes and tables serially. Now it might be useful seperate indexes from tables for maintenance purposes but this wont lower I/O contention.

Can anyone chime in on this? Curious to see where the evidence is leading? Received on Tue Jul 15 2003 - 08:49:27 CDT