Performance problems VMS 8i

From: Barbara Baker <barbarabbaker_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 06:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

Oracle 8.1.7.4
OpenVMS 7.2-1
DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Ver V5.0A-ECO 3 After an upgrade from Oracle 7.3.4 to 8.1.7.4 on OpenVMS, some (but not all) of our batch jobs are suffering severe performance degradation. One of our critical jobs went from 3 hours to 9 hours elapsed time.

The reason is obvious. The solution is not. One of our jobs increased from 45 minutes to 1 hr 30 min. The direct i/o for this job increased from 480 to 1,046,938. (Identical everything. Only difference 7.3.4 versus 8.1.7.4) This direct i/o number is from the parent process – the process that is communicating with the detached process actually running the oracle code via a mailbox (using the bequeath adapter). The jobs causing trouble are batch jobs running on the server, and are using bequeath.

Oracle has been pretty much useless. They recommended increasing sysgen pql parameters, which did nothing.

I've been able to achieve the greatest performance gain for this job by increasing BIOLM (buffered i/o limit) for bequeath listener (using parameters on run/detached in startup_bequeath.com), tnslsnr (increasing lsnrctl.com and tnslsnr.com), and increasing biolm for Oracle acct and user acct running the job.

Anyone out there
- had similar experiences?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Barb

Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month! Received on Mon Jul 14 2003 - 08:55:35 CDT