Re: Security, private vs. public synonyms and contention data di

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:19:35 -0800

RE: Security, private vs. public synonyms and contention data dictionaryA lot of people have posted messages like: "I have several applications in my DB, but I can't create new public synonyms for my new app, because public synonym with that name already exists!". So, this should be one major reason why not to use public synonyms,

But yes, check ixora, there is a very good explanation about impact of synonyms. Generally, public synonums are worst performance wise, private synonyms aren't that good either, referencing to tables directly in your SQL would be the fastest way (talking about parsing speed). Since from developers point of view hardcoding the schema names would be quite bad, there's an alternate solution of not hardcoding schema names to SQL, but using alter session set currecnt_schema in your application to set which schema should be used (of course in multi-schema environments you won't get away with that easily).

Tanel.

  I think I remember Steve Adams posting something about performance and public synonyms, you may want to check its web site www.ixora.com.au

  Stephane Paquette
  Administrateur de bases de donnees

  Database Administrator

  Standard Life

  www.standardlife.ca

  Tel. (514) 499-7999 7470 and (514) 925-7187

  stephane.paquette_at_standardlife.ca

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jul 11 2003 - 16:19:35 CDT