Re: High availability and upgrades

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:21:04 -0700

Hi!

In data guard, when you do a DML, it first goes to primary instance log buffers, then to redolog, then to standby host using log transport services, then applied to stanby using log apply services.

Thus, in data guard maximum protection mode you can't initiate changes to _standby_ databases before changes are written to _primary_ db redologs (I might be wrong because haven't read DG concepts too thoroughly).

But in case I described previously, you can issue both "commits" concurrently and even better, using threading and maybe an additional layer, you could count transaction committed when at least one node has committed, and check whether other nodes have commited with next request sent to DBs. That gives performance for example in OLTP environments, but of course your app has to be able to handle situations when during next request other nodes still haven't committed (this session with not enough committed nodes should wait or return some kind of error or handle the situation other way).

Of course, data guard maximum protection mode doesn't require you to program additional mechanisms, but it definitelay hits performance. And more, the DG switchover mechanism would be slower than just continuing with one active database in case of failure. Also, since we are dealing with two regular databases, we won't have problems like stanby has, nologging, LOB logging issues, etc.

OTOH, backup&recovery strategy is probably different than with physical standbys.

Tanel.
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

  Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 10:49
  PM
  Subject: RE: High availability and
  upgrades

  Tanel,
  points 1 & 2 .... isn't it like using data guard ??

  Raj <FONT

  Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com <FONT   size=2>All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal.   QOTD: Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art   !
  -----Original Message----- From: Paul   Baumgartel [<A
  href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]   Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 3:10 PM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: Re: High availability and upgrades   It is our own application.  That's an interesting   approach, thanks! Received on Thu Jul 10 2003 - 15:21:04 CDT