RE: Restricting access via sqlplus

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:36:04 -0700

To prevent these kinds of problems, the only solution I've ever thought was feasible was how we implemented it at a previous company of mine.

I think this kind of solution was discussed on the list many months ago.

Problem description at my previous company: We had a two-tier application written that required users to sign on with their own Oracle userid/password. (We implemented password expiration rules etc...) The application, while connected to the database as the user, would issue insert/update/delete statements against database tables in a common "APPLICATION" schema.

We wanted to prevent a user from being able to connect to the database using another application (SQL*Plus, Toad, Excel using ODBC, etc.) and issue the same insert/update/delete statements that the application could do.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]