RE: Microsoft VS Oracle (again)

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:50:05 -0700

Rich,

> So, what's the case for code changes?

TAF (Transparent Application Failover) will provide both SESSION failover as well as SELECT failover. In the former case, the session aborts on the now-failed server and starts from the beginning on the new node, while the latter enables user with open cursors to continue fetching on them after failure by re-executing the cursors on the new node. The former does not require code changes, while the latter does, and requires code changes done on a limited number of executable environments (JDBC Thin and OCI come to mind) that support 'TAF Callback'. TAF *with RAC* will provide the environment for a clustered environment where the user can failover from one node to another node accessing the same data (as compared to TAF in a replicated environment).

Hope this answers your question. Murali Vallath [are you listening in, Murali?] may be able to add some details [Hint!]

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Disappointment is inevitable, but Discouragement is optional!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]