Re: Should percent increase higher than 0 in 817?

From: Chip <ocp-dba_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:30:18 -0700

Historically, two values of PCTINCREASE were practical: 0 - keep same extent size
100 - double extent size

Have Fun :)

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha wrote:
 cite="">
  Greetings,

Non-zero PCTINCREASE causes unnecessary free space fragmentation in your tablespaces and should be avoided. Especially in 8.1.7, where there is no need for this, given that locally-managed tablespaces are supported, where PCTINCREASE is NOT even relevant. If you use

One of the historical reasons for having a non-zero PCTINCREASE in the Oracle6 and Oracle7 days, was to urge SMON to automatically coalesce free space, at the end of the file, especially after an object is dropped. In 7.3, the alter tablespace XXX coalesce command was introduced, which provided on-demand coalescing even with PCTINCREASE at 0.

If you have dictionary-managed tablespaces try to convert to locally-managed tablespaces. Otherwise, use a PCTINCREASE of 0, use uniform extent sizes at the tablespace and DO NOT use extent-sizing at the object-level.

Cheers,

Gaja

    Everything I have seen says no. I did the following.

Set PCTINCREASE = 0
Set my initial and next extents to 5m so they are uniform. A woman I work with swears there is Oracle documentation that in 817 PCTINCREASE should be greater than 0 because the default is 50.

ORA-03232 unable to allocate an extent of string blocks from tablespace string

Cause: An attempt was made to specify a
HASH_MULTIBLOCK_IO_COUNT value that is greater than the tablespace's NEXT value.

Action: Increase the value of NEXT for the tablespace using ALTER TABLESPACE DEFAULT STORAGE or decrease the value of HASH_MULTIBLOCK_IO_COUNT.

--
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
http://www.orafaq.net
Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web
hosting services

E-Mail message
to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of
'ListGuru') and in
ORACLE-L

from). You may also send the HELP command for other information
(like subscribing).