RE: RMAN Recovery Question: Restore with loss of control files an

From: Paul Baumgartel <treegarden_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:15:13 -0700

  1. I have configured RMAN for controlfile autobackup, so that every DB backup produces a backup of the controlfiles and spfile as well. With these, I can easily recover from a loss of every single database file. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do it this way (reponses invited).
  2. MetaLink states that the location of a backup file is embedded in the file itself, that it can't be used if it's moved to another location, and that this is a feature (yeah, right). On Unix, symlinks will do the trick; on Windoze, the suggested workaround is to back up the backup to another location that matches the one from which you want to use it. I ran into this when restoring a backup on another system that had a different drive layout; rather than backing up the backup, I just juggled drive letters. The lesson here is to ensure that your backup directories are configured and named consistently across all database servers.

SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month! http://sbc.yahoo.com
Author: Paul Baumgartel
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]