Re: SELECT Output Default Ordering ?

From: Binley Lim <Binley.Lim_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:37:26 -0700

In cases where the SQL is an important (ie frequently used) part of the application, you do get significant gains with the index hint technique.

The ORDER BY is a guarantee - you have to pay your insurance premiums (ie additional sort).

The index hint is a trade-off with the devil - you have to understand what you are doing, or it may take a few years off your life.

> Beware, though, that without explicit ORDER BY clauses, you're not
> guaranteed to get the results in the order you expect (I think you
mentioned
> this yourself, for example, when an index is missing). It's not just a
> performance problem. In some applications, you'll get the *wrong answer*
if
> you don't use ORDER BY. Example:
>
> SELECT stuff, score
> FROM tables
> WHERE conditions AND ROWNUM<=10
> ORDER BY score DESC
>

> Cary Millsap
> Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
> http://www.hotsos.com
>
> Upcoming events:
> - Hotsos Clinic 101 in Dallas, Washington, Denver, Sydney
> - Hotsos Symposium 2004, March 7-10 Dallas
> - Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

SQL.
> So as a vendor you must have your application run reasonably well with no
> tuning if you want to sell to small sites. Otherwise the customer will
blame
> you for a fussy application. If you add an ORDER BY, sometimes Oracle will
> decide it needs to sort, or at least that is the fear. The method I
describe
> has worked pretty well over many Oracle versions (I think one of the
Oracle

Author: Binley Lim
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]