RE: Sun to Linux on Dell

From: <John.Whelan_at_statcan.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:04:54 -0700

I'd go
Windows on the Dell box.  There are some quite nice tools like perfmon that can give you a lot of info about what is going on.  My preferred Windows box though would be the Proliant, it's earned it's reputation over time for performance and reliability.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Problem with a big system though is the cost of the port.  I'd tend to stick with a SUN box with a SAN but do the sums. <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
If you
want sheer performance dump the disk drives except a couple mirrored for the operating system then go something like an HP SAN.  We've seen thirty fold improvement on some databases going SAN keeping the same server.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Cheerio John

<FONT

  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Michael Kline   [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: June 9, 2003 1:14   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: Sun   to Linux on Dell
  I have a cust
  pounding a Sun E450 I believe they
  said it was with
  a large RAID with fiber channels.
<FONT

  face="Courier New">
  They pound this
  thing at 2,037 I/O per seconds and
  end up having
  about 3,868 I/O per data block wait.
  This is averaged
  over 3-5 days, 24 hr/day, so there
  are times it's
  way over that. While sometimes slow,
  performance is
  acceptable most of the time.
<FONT

  face="Courier New">
  They are
  contemplating moving it to Linux and a   very high end
  Dell system, perhaps 4-8 CPU, etc.
<FONT

  face="Courier New">
  I've always heard