RE: HP-Sun Cross Platform Migration - Exp/Imp, CTAS over dblink o

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 06:18:40 -0700

  I'm looking to move a large database from HP/Compaq/DEC Alpha to Sun. Any possibility the datafiles might be compatible?

Sashidar
  This was discussed quite a bit on this list 5/14, the subject was "quickest method". The consensus seemed to be that:

  1. SQL*Loader in direct path mode is the fastest. The catch is the hassle of getting the data out to a flat file and creating a loader control file.
  2. Database links and exp/imp are roughly the same speed, so you have to test to see which will be fastest for your situation. I plan to test these various methods in our environment, since the downtime window will be rather small. Consider using the 80/20 principle (Pareto's Rule). Typically, just a handful of tables contain most of the data. In my case, a single table contains about 25% of the data. It is worth the effort to develop a method to dump the data to a flat file and to create a loader control file if that is the fastest method. For the many small files, just use exp/imp. Please update me on any conclusions you reach since this topic is of significant interest to me. Thanks.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 7:15 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L or ..

Sashidar:

In THEORY HP datafiles and Sun data files are compaible. That is you can just move the HP data files to the Sun server and recreate the data files. Both data files are in same endianness and they are cross platform compatible.

There is no tool to convert a datafile from one OS format to another OS format. Some time back, some one (Guess who??) tried developing a tool and the idea was dropped since Oracle started addressing this issue as a standard feature inside the RDBMS product. So there is no third party tool available in the market to do that conversion and I don't expect any new tools to do that.

Having said that, that above said method is NOT officially supported by Oracle in current versions. You have to wait for some more time to get that officially supported by Oracle (clue!!)

If you have a faster interconnect CTAS will be much faster than export import method, I remember seeing some comparitive numbers in Metalink.. Have you checked that?

Have a nice day !!

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan,
Bangalore, INDIA.

Author: K Gopalakrishnan
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sat Jun 07 2003 - 08:18:40 CDT