Re: RMAN/Veritas guru request

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 09:52:19 -0800

Joe,

I'm in the process of writing up what we need to do to test several recovery scenarios
with Veritas NetBackup 4.5, Oracle 8i and RMAN. This is on Windoze, but it should
work the same.

Which is a long way of saying I haven't actually done this yet, but I do have materials
that explain it. :) ( the docs I have are for unix anywaway )

You need to setup NBU to perform an 'alternate client restore'. A search support.veritas.com
on that phrase may be helpful.

The master server must be configured to allow a client to restore some other clients files.

There are two ways to accomplish this.

Remove restore restrictions for all clients:

   Create a file NBU_HOME/netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictions

Remove restrictions for selected clients:

eg.

original client is mars
alternate client is venus
master server is earth

ORACLE_SID = lab

unix user is oracle on both venus and mars

create the file NBU_HOME/netbackup/db/altnames/venus and edit it to contain the name 'mars'

logon to venus as oracle
set SERVER=earth in ${ORACLE_HOME}/bp.conf modify the tnsnames.ora file to enable the RMAN catalog connection ( if needed )
set ORACLE_SID=mars and NB_ORA_CLIENT=mars verify that the directory exists and has correct perms ( db directory I think, not clear )
( the data files will be restored to a directory path with the same name they had when backed up )

create an initlab.ora file
startup the database

  venus$ sqlplus /nolog
  SQL> connect / as sysdba
  SQL> startup nomount
  SQL> exit

run RMAN restore script

rman rcvcat rmanowner/rmanowner_at_rmancat
RMAN> connect target
RMAN @restore_database.rcv

HTH Jared

"Joseph S Testa" <jtesta_at_dmc-it.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 05/21/2003 07:26 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RMAN/Veritas guru request

Ok i've been battling with RMAN and veritas for a few weeks. My question to the guru out there.

while cloning(duplicate database) with rman, it requires a "alternate client restore" since its being cloned to a different server.

the veritas docs on veritas support says you HAVE to change the client_name in the bp.conf file to say what the original client_name that did the backup via RMAN.

I've tried the altnames ordeal with no luck I had to change the client_name in the bp.conf file on the "auxiliary" database server, my problem with that is while the restore is happening all backups are now saying they belong to a different server.

Anyone got a decent workaround?

thanks, joe

PS: 9.2.0.3, AIX, latest version of veritas.

Joseph S Testa
Chief Technology Officer
Data Management Consulting
p: 614-791-9000
f: 614-791-9001

Author: Joseph S Testa
  INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 12:52:19 CDT