RE: Oracle Untested Infuriator

From: <Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:42:16 -0800

|Pete,

|It may be that some other group at Oracle besides the OUI team is
|responsible for the absurd requirement that in order to add the JDBC
|OCI drivers (4 files) to a 9.2.0.3 ORACLE_HOME, you must allow the OUI
|to downgrade Oracle Server software to 9.2.0.1. Support actually came
|up with the clever idea of choosing a client install when adding the
|drivers, and then OUI only downgrades libclntsh.so and associated
|stuff, so only they need to be re-upgraded.

|The main probelm though is that the installer is pretty much unusable
|unless you are within the same LAN as the server host. That is an OUI
|arcitectural problem. The requirement for an X server, even for an
|unattended install, is unsustainable if Oracle expects real DBAs to
|take the product seriously. The installer cannot be in the business
|of screen-painting across the network. I can't even believe the idea
|got past an initial review, much less persisted for several years.

Jeremiah - ditto. I am forced to use it across a WAN but fortunately (at least for now) through a pretty big pipe. If I loose my "big pipe" I may start losing the argument that I can effectively administer remote systems (if you catch my drift). Give me back the command line via orainst!!!

Kip

|--
|Jeremiah Wilton
|http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

|On Tue, 20 May 2003, Pete Sharman wrote:

|> So tell us how you really feel, Jeremiah! :)
|>
|> Seriously, many of the problems you list are actually not OUI problems, but
|> install (the way the install was built, and the dependencies of products
|> being installed). But customers don't separate these (and they should not
|> have to), and OUI gets blamed for it. Fortunately the install and OUI
|> teams are now much closer (same team), as they should be, and hopefully that
|> will help drive requirements from install (of Server and iAS) into OUI and
|> vice versa.
|>
|> Yeah, I know, the moon is made of green cheese, too ... :)
|>
|> Pete
|> "Controlling developers is like herding cats."
|> Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
|> "Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!"
|> Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

|--
|Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
|--
|Author: Jeremiah Wilton
| INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net

|Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
|San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
|To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
|to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
|the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
|(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may
|also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

  INET: Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com