latch free - library cache

From: Dilip <>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 02:36:44 -0800

Hi List,

DB on Sun sparc solaris 2.6
This is oracle applications 11.5.4

One of the program was running for very long time. So checked out v$session_wait for that perticular session. It was waiting on 'latch free' and from P2 column and v$latch, found out that it is waiting for library cache latch. Now docs says this is related to shared pool fragmentation. So checked v$sgastat where it showed 38M space free in the shared pool (Total shared pool is 800 MB). But it didnt throw ORA-4031 and the process was running for last 17 hours. I looked at v$librarycache and v$latchholder but didn't get any clue. At last, I flushed the shared pool but still that session was waiting on same wait event. Finally I had to kill the session. I am facing this situation once or twice in production and everytime I can't kill the session.

Can somebody tell me how should I debug furthur and go to the root cause of the problem. Does this mean I need to increse the shared pool ? CURSOR_SHARING is kept to FORCE.

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at

 Buy The Best In BOOKS at

Bid for for Air Tickets @ Re.1 on Air Sahara Flights. Just log on to and Bid Now !

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

Author: Dilip

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 14 2003 - 05:36:44 CDT

Original text of this message