RE: Data Block Corruption

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:16:38 -0800

What version of the database? There is a tool for block editing that is supposedly only for internal use that was shipped with most releases before 9 I believe. Usual caveat - don't do this on your Production database. :-)

More to the point, though, is there really a need to do it? After all, IIRC all that you can do with DBMS_REPAIR is mark the block software corrupt so that Oracle will skip it. You can't actually repair the block.

The other alternative to bbed is to run a large magnet over your disk, or alternatively drill a hole through the platters! :-)

Pete

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no it's not. It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA.

Author: Pete Sharman
  INET: peter.sharman_at_oracle.com