Re: San Performance gurus

From: Brian Haas <bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:27:52 -0800

Sarnowski, Chris wrote:

> We've got a Hitachi 9960, and have done all of our striping at
> the hardware level. The database is sharing the same disks as
> several large flat-file systems (e.g. Genbank databases used
> for BLAST). We're using Veritas, but not using it to do any
> RAID or striping. We're using Quick I/O for the DB but I'm
> not convinced that it makes much of a difference in our
> environment.

We are using a Sun branded Hitachi 9970 with veritas. The san presents 30 luns(disks) to the sun host. The Datawarehouse load was going slower than we had hoped on the new hardware. Sun professional services said to use veritas striping across the 30 logical luns. It made a world of difference once we did this. I'm not sure how the disks are set up on the san, but I know there are only 18 physical disks in raid 5 I believe. Not using quick/io, but the newer ODM that comes with the latest version of veritad database edition. I'm not sure how it compares   to quickio.

--
  * Brian Haas                bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com      *

Author: Brian Haas
  INET: bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com