RE: Large databases

From: Rodd Holman <roddholman_at_hotpop.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:39:03 -0800

You keep saying storage is cheep. Have you bought any expansion drives from EMC lately? Oh yeah, you need to buy them in triplicate to get the R1, Mirror, and BCV. Remember EMC is the only vendor you can buy from since they void the warranty if you put any "cheap" drives in there. Storage is not cheap. On SAN devices it can be very expensive. Desktop storage, and server internal drives may be cheap, but they don't fit the bill for enterprise databases. Unless of course that "enterprise database" is written in Access and running on w2k. ;-)

Rodd Holman

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 16:54, Odland, Brad wrote:
> I think the thing that maybe hasn't been stated is that "normalization" of
> data was developed because.....
> storage space was extremely expensive. Eliminating redundant data was THE
> driving factor in data modeling. In a typical system you could save tens of
> thousands if not 100K if you could eliminate redundant data. Speed and
> performance was not as important as data integrity and cost. In those
> days...many "users" were not "users" until these systems were created. They
> went from a paper world to a green screen and they rejoiced and said it was
> good.
>
> Now we want real time access, instant queries against huge production
> databases that store millions of rows of data on the price change of a bunch
> of nuts sitting in a bin halfway across the world.
>
> The users now feel the need for accessibility and performance as storage is
> cheap...they want the data. So design for speed and accessibility and to
> deliver the data without bringing down the database with big ugly nasty
> adhoc queries.
>
> Brad O.
>

> "I want a goose that lays golden eggs daddy...and I want it now!" Veruka -
> WW&CF

Rodd Holman <roddholman_at_hotpop.com>

Author: Rodd Holman
  INET: roddholman_at_hotpop.com