Re: Large databases

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:23:37 -0800

Okay - I forgot to do that funny little thing that represents tongue in cheek; or perhaps the other one with frizzy hair that represents mad scientist cackling insanely.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____UK_______April 22nd
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd
____Denmark__May 21-23rd
____Sweden___June
____Finland__September
____Norway___September

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

____UK_(Manchester)_May x 2
____Estonia___June (provisional)
____Australia_June (provisional)
____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

> No, no, no, its my tailor's database and he only measures once and
he
> won't be my tailor if I lose an arm (he adores symmetry). My point
is
> that it is not possible to determine if a design is normalized
unless
> you know something about the business requirements you are designing
to.
> Some of your "normalizations" introduce attributes that may or may
not
> be tracked. If I have a unique set of attributes that are dependent
on
> my surrogate key and do not contain repeating groups, and are not
> partially dependant on the key, then I'm third normal. And only the
> application requirements can determine what the attributes desired
are,
> the desired frequency of collection, and hence what the definition
of
> normal will be. If you redefine the problem domian of course you
can
> make virtually any attribute a repeating group merely by adding
history.
> Which is largely what you did. My claim is that requirements ->
> attributes -> entities -> keys -> normalization.
>
> I admit that you were right on the age one, so to replace it my
tailor
> sells running shoes to me over the phone and so wants to track
> PRONATION_CD VARCHAR2(3) which he will measure as required but he
only
> cares about the current value. Still over 20 attributes and
normalized
> in light of the requirements.
>
> Allan

option: