RE: Replication

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:48:53 -0800

>Hi,
>
> i have to set replication environment for 5
>sites.out of 5 sites one site
>is of head office (head1) and remaining 4
>(branch1,branch2,branch3 and
>branch4) are for branch office.at each site
>oracle DB has been installed with Replication
>support.there are four tables
>t1,t2,t3 and t4 at each branch's server including
>the head1.at every branch
>data entry is being done into these 4 tables,
>except the head office.now i
>want each branch office server should update the
>tables at the head office
>server say
>
> branch1's table t1 should update t1 table
>at head1
> branch1's table t2 should update t2 table at
>head1...
>
> branch2's table t1 should update the same
>t1 table at head1
> branch1's table t2 should update the same
>t2 table at head1 .....
>

> this is for all branch offices
>
> but
>
> branch1's table 1 should not update any of
>the another branches
>tables.....
>
>means all the branch office database should update
>only the head office
>tables not any other branch tables...
>

> pls suggest how should i setup replication....
>

>Regards
>Arvind

Arvind,

  All this sounds terribly complicated to me. Don't you think that it boils down to a matter of visibility, i.e. that branch1 shouldn't see the data from other branches? Then can't you had some 'Branch' column to all of your replicated tables (part of the primary key) and use standard advanced replication? Other possibility, I am unsure whether you can build a kind of composite snapshot, but perhaps that at the headquarters you could have t1_branch1, t1_branch2 ... t1_branchn, snapshots on the various t1 table, and define t1 as a view and the union of the various snapshots. If you only query and need to have a global view at the headquarters, it can suit your needs. This is the solution I would prefer, not least because it doesn't require any licence for the Advanced Replication Option.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole

Author: Stephane Faroult