RE: backup strategy for a database over 1 TB running SAP R/3

From: Rich Holland <holland_at_guidancetech.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:24:14 -0800

Roger,

You didn't specify what version of R/3 you're running, but for more recent versions of the DB tools, you can go a couple of routes. SAP has integrated RMAN into the BR tools and backint. This is nice as you can now do consistent online backups, as well as full and incrementals with RMAN, all by calling brbackup. If you're dumping 1TB to Legato, I'm guessing you're using backint and a tape library/backup server. One of the downsides to using the backint/rman integration is that in most cases you'll need to purchase a license from Legato for both RMAN and the backint tool, so you're in effect paying twice.

SAP has some good whitepapers on the service marketplace about the integration on RMAN and the BR tools.

You can always do the old "split mirror" backup trick as well...

Rich Holland
Guidance Technologies, Inc.

Author: Rich Holland
  INET: holland_at_guidancetech.com