Re: Oracle Warehousing or Teradata

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:53:39 -0800

I took a fairly close look at Teradata 2.5 years ago.

At that time, I could not see where it had any advantage over Oracle, particularly for Data Warehousing using star schemas.

Whereas there are many benefits to using Oracle.

Bitmap indexes ( don't think TD had those)

Partitioning - TD had something like it, but the Oracle version was much more robust IIRC.

Availability of skilled personnel - At the time I checked, there were 69 open TD positions nationwide - At that time there were 6900 Oracle positions.

Non-proprietary - Teradata runs on NT or NCR, nothing else.

Expense - believe it or not, TD costs more than Oracle.

Development tools and 3rd party software - much more support for Oracle.

... more I can't recall.

My employer at that time decided to dump Oracle for DW and go with TD instead. I left.

Jared

Hussain Ahmed Qadri <hussain_at_skm.org.pk> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 04/08/2003 02:18 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Oracle Warehousing or Teradata

One of our clients was interested in knowing which warehousing software he should consider. Since he is already using Oracle, so he wanted to know about the Oracle warehousing capabilities, as compared to Teradata. So also for the sake of knowledge, which one is better and if one could be a replacement of the other, in any environment. Regards,
Hussain

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 08 2003 - 19:53:39 CDT