Re: Oracle Warehousing or Teradata

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:43:40 -0800

Hi,

I don't have any real experience with Teradata, however I know of some very high profile datawarehousing project which have used it. Typically you are talking about seriously large datawarehousing sites... Telco's keeping CDRs (Call Detail Records), Walmart tracking the sale of every item nation wide.

They have an interesting architecture and I suspect the theory goes along the lines of "Oracle has elegance (bitmaps, partitioning, mat views) whilst Teradata has brunt (thousands of cheap PC's working as one).

Of course my best recommendation is to ignore everything I said and invite the Teradata folk in for a presentation. If the sales manager can smell a potential licence they'll come and visit you for free. Naturally you could also invite Oracle to come talk about the differences between Oracle and Teradata. Heck, have some fun and invite them to each others presentations (I've never seen it done, but it could be quite funny).

                    Jared.Still_at_ra
                    disys.com            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    root_at_fatcity.c       Subject:     Re: Oracle Warehousing or Teradata
                    om

                    09/04/2003
                    10:53
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

I took a fairly close look at Teradata 2.5 years ago.

At that time, I could not see where it had any advantage over Oracle, particularly for Data Warehousing using star schemas.

Whereas there are many benefits to using Oracle.

Bitmap indexes ( don't think TD had those)

Partitioning - TD had something like it, but the Oracle version was much more robust IIRC.

Availability of skilled personnel - At the time I checked, there were 69 open TD positions nationwide - At that time there were 6900 Oracle positions.

Non-proprietary - Teradata runs on NT or NCR, nothing else.

Expense - believe it or not, TD costs more than Oracle.

Development tools and 3rd party software - much more support for Oracle.

... more I can't recall.

My employer at that time decided to dump Oracle for DW and go with TD instead. I left.

Jared

Hussain Ahmed Qadri <hussain_at_skm.org.pk> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 04/08/2003 02:18 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Oracle Warehousing or Teradata

One of our clients was interested in knowing which warehousing software he should consider. Since he is already using Oracle, so he wanted to know about the Oracle warehousing capabilities, as compared to Teradata. So also for the sake of knowledge, which one is better and if one could be a replacement of the other, in any environment. Regards,
Hussain

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban City Link Ltd shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Mark Richard INET: mrichard_at_transurban.com.au Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).