RE: Configuring Oracle with RAID and OFA

From: Craig Munday <Craig.Munday_at_ecard.com.au>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:13:35 -0800

Rachel,

There seems to be something inherently wrong with a DBA not getting to determine the layout of their disks.

I too have experienced this problem in the past and have found that it is difficult to achieve change once large sums on money have already been committed. These days I ensure that I am involved in the purchasing decision from the out set - its easier to get what I want that way.

I use this technique with developers as well. If I am lucky enough to see the beginning of a development project, I ensure that I set standards for database development when the developers are setting other coding standards for themself. It helps developers understand what I expect of them and also gets their buy-in. I've found that developers like standards more than me trying to tell them what is wrong with their code after they have puts months of work. - developers tend to get emotionally attached to what they create :-) It is also a little unfair to impose standards retrospectively which threaten their deadlines.

I'm sure other DBAs have experienced the similar things, and I'd be interested in how they have tried to solve their problems.

Cheers,
Craig.

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com