RE: Oracle encouraging Linux software developers

From: Grant Allen <grant_at_towersoft.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:15:33 -0800

> IBM is loudly touting how much money they will be spending on
> Linux. Has
> anyone seen any sales statistics for DB2 on non-IBM
> platforms? I feel that
> IBM has a challenge to convince buyers to consider DB2 on Linux.
>

> Dennis Williams
> DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Dennis,

Humourously ... at least in Oz, the number one Unix platform for DB2 is Solaris. IBM will probably turn this around ... they are being quite clever with the 5L releases of AIX, by enabling compatibility with both AIX and Linux binaries. So they feed you a little Linux box, wait for you to decide you need something bigger, ease you on to an AIX 5L box still running your linux code (but now you're paying AIX licencing), and then roll in with the usual IBM steamroller.

That said, I've just had a free 3-day training course from them, so nothing like biting the hand that feeds, so to speak :-)

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Author: Grant Allen