Re:Inband and Outband Net8 question

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 06:38:50 -0800

Sinardy,

    Wish my favorite network GURU was in today as he could really explain this, but regrettably he's on the road. Anyway, what their talking about is how you interrupt the server side process that your client is talking to. Here is an example/walk through:

    You start a SQL*Plus session on your desktop to a database server. Now you enter the command "Select * from <my_huge_table>;" which will obviously return a couple gazillion rows of data. OOPS, so you hit CTRL-C to stop this mess. Easy, SQL*Plus locally hears you and sends the break to the server. Depending on the protocol if it's an IBB the message gets placed in the queue of Xon/Xoff messages that are normally going back & forth from your desktop to the server to control the flow on data. On the server side the Oracle process you are talking to (dedicated server or dispatcher for MTS) will get the message & stop sending data, after it has purged it's outbound buffer (see you tomorrow). On some protocols the break may get buried in the Xon/Xoff messages and never get acted upon too (see you next week). With an OBB the message lands on the server as an interrupt signal to the Oracle process which acts like it got kicked in the pants & immediately shuts off the data flow.

    Whether you use OBB or IBB depends more on the protocol in use than the application.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Sinardy Xing" <SinardyXing_at_bkgcomsvc.com>
Date:       3/17/2003 10:48 PM

Hi all,

I have question about "Inband break", please help me understand this

Oracle said:

 There are 2 types of breaks:
- Inband breaks: are transmitted as part of regular data traffic using the normal protocol read and write functions. These breaks are symply queued. - Outband breaks: are faster as it is send during urgent data messages. These messages cause signals and take a lot of load of the server.

These are my questions:

What is the purpose of Inband break?
when we use it during our day to day activities? is this break trigger automatically (something like "end" of some activity)?

Thanks,

Sinardy

Author: Sinardy Xing
  INET: SinardyXing_at_bkgcomsvc.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 08:38:50 CST