RE: Oracle position on hints

From: Molina, Gerardo <Gerardo.Molina_at_schwab.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:13:55 -0800

I have heard from Oracle that you should stop using RULE hints as the Rule-based optimizer (RBO) will eventually be retired or totally unsupported.

We are moving away from analyze as well and using dbms_stats instead because analyze is also going away. Migrating to dbms_stats is a first step for us to shift from RULE hints to the CBO.

So maybe the message "Stop using hints" only applies to particular types of hints like RULE hints.

Gerardo

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Molina, Gerardo
  INET: Gerardo.Molina_at_schwab.com